I would like to take this time to thank each and every one of you for coming on board as Umpire Managers for this year’s Junior Premier Hockey (JPH). We all know how important it is to have good UM’s to work with the umpires. We, at JPH want to invest in you, the Umpire Managers, and those umpires who are committed to the sport and want to get better. Those who just want to make money and do game after game need not apply!
Our main goals are to Recruit, Train and Retain umpires.
- How we treat the umpires
- Always be positive, never negative
- Critique one or two things at a time, do not overwhelm them. As they get those first points down, then find more things to work on
- Umpires should have adequate rest between games and should not be working back-to-back games. They should have a proper area to relax when off the field/court.
- NEVER, NEVER, NEVER correct or address umpires at half time unless it is imperative to do so.
- All UMs report directly to the Director of Umpiring, including all questions, problems or issues
- Cc: the Director of Umpiring on all communications with your group
- All UMs are to complete a Umpire Manager’s Report no later than the Wednesday after completion of date of competition. This form is accessible in Dropbox
- Rules and briefings are posted on our website: juniorpremierhockey.com/technical/
- Forms, reports, and various other details and resources regarding your work are accessible in Dropbox
- Umpire Assignments
- Submit the list of umpires you wish to invite to the Director of Umpiring for approval/discussion. These approved umpires will be uploaded into the Altius competition database. Once the list is uploaded, you must enter your umpire match appointments for the upcoming competition in Altius. Your site’s Technical Delegate will Publish your appointments once completed
- Match reporting system – AltiusRT, questions should be directed to
- Kim Scott – AltiusRT Director – (856) 873-1843 / email@example.com
- As our database grows, we can share umpires across JPH sites so that when anyone is in need we may be able to pick from other sites
- You are responsible for the safekeeping and care of the radios, chargers, headsets, holders and other pieces of equipment that go along with them
- Ensure all equipment is charged and organized for each competition date
- If for some reason you will not be in attendance on any given date, make arrangements with the site coordinator for this equipment to get to the site in time for the next scheduled date
- Please take the utmost care of the radios and make sure that the umpires use care with them, as well. There has been quite an investment made for them. Did I say these are very expensive?
- At the end of each season, please provide to the Director of Umpiring an inventory of all equipment in your possession and a list of items that will be needed for the start of the next season for review and approval
- UM has the authority to purchase up to $25 season total of any additional items needed during the season without approval. Seek approval from the Director of Umpiring prior to exceeding the $25 budget
- If you make any new technology purchases that might be useful for other regions, please report these findings to the Director of Umpiring.
- Submit a spreadsheet and receipts for reimbursement for any expenses throughout the course of the season to the Director of Umpiring
Any questions, issues, or if you are interested in getting involved, please contact us:
Nigel Traverso – JPH Director (516) 633-9471, BigAppleHockey@aol.com
Rachael Bloemker – JPH Director (267) 307-3723, Rachael3473@gmail.com
Lurah Hess – JPH Technical Director (215) 317-5283, LurahHess@yahoo.com
TBD – JPH Director of Umpiring, Rachael3473@gmail.com
Kim Scott – JPH AltiusRT Director (717) 585-1780, KScotty17@gmail.com
Ridge Bair – JPH Communications Officer (717) 320-2034, JuniorPremierHockey@gmail.com